Subject: Re: Problems with NetBSD 1.3 Solaris2 original filesystem
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1998 10:21:56
On Jan 6, Brian Buhrow wrote
> 	Now, after having changed the CPU and the RAM, we're still seeing a
> similar problem whereby the machine panics due to a kernel data fault.
> However, we're also seeing a new type of panic on a 8GB filesystem which
> was originally created under Solaris 2.5.  Could someone explain what the
> following message means, and if there is a way to fix it short of newfsing
> the entire disk?  Also, could this message, in some way, be causing the
> kernel data faults as well?
> [...]
> login: sd4(esp2:3:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 21 00 03 cf 00 02
> panic: ifree: range: dev = 0x722, ino = -254910704, fs = /var/spool/news
> [...]

The 2 panic messages can have the same cause. The ifree panic could also be
caused by memory corruption.
However, the "illegal request" message needs further sudies. Could you
recompile a kernel with "options SCSIVERBOSE" so that we can have more details
about the error ? Also the output of "df -ik" could be usefull.
Do you have any swap space on this disk ?
This disk is a news spool, rigth ? what is the size of your history file ?