Subject: Re: daily CVS update output
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1998 19:20:03
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Greg Earle wrote:

: Nope nope nope.  Here's just the first example, from comparing my 1.2.1
: source tree (i.e., I stopped sup'ing when 1.2.1 was released) with the
: "official" 1.2.1 released src distribution (that I keep in /usr/src/1.2.1):

This is because during a major release cycle (1.2, 1.3, ...), the sup sourcs
point at the "release" source tree, while during the release of 1.2.1, the
sup sources pointed at the post-1.2 "trunk" tree (1.2E at the time?).  The
source management software being used at netbsd.org--CVS--has the feature
that ity can have software "branches" that aren't exactly the same as the
"trunk" sources, and are maintained in parallel.

You'll find that, shortly in the future when the sup tree points back at the
post-1.3 trunk, that a decent load of changes will appear all at once.
That's because the trunk has been modified a bit all through the 1.3 release
cycle.

: i.e., there seem to have been a lot of last-minute twiddles around 12/10/96
: that made it into the official 1.2.1 sources.

No; the $NetBSD$ ID differences were because the sup sources were pointed at
the trunk, which had _major_ changes from the 1.2.1 release tree.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price