Subject: Re: nullfs and panic: locking against myself
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1998 17:13:13
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Ty Sarna wrote:

: Many locking problems could be solved by using a message-based protocol
: in the kernel, and putting each mountpoint in its own thread.  This is
: what AmigaOS did, and it worked pretty well (modulo a few problems
: specific to that implementation, like poor provisions for *un*-mounting
: things). It'd also make it easier to do userland VFS servers.

Sounds like Mach.  Sounds a *lot* like Mach.  And also sounds a little like
the back-burner idea I had to have userland filesystems communicating with
the kernel over an "opaque" message-passing protocol.

We just have to make sure we don't use BCPL string pointers when
comunicating with the filesystems....  8->

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price