Subject: Request for Change in Makefiles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Graham - Systems Anarchist <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1998 15:58:24
Hi, all,

I would respectfully like to request that the CPPFLAGS+= lines in Makefiles
be separated on a per-category or per-option basis.  For example, I like
the -DSECURE and -DMSDOS_ROOT options in init, but I don't like -DALTSHELL;
I want it to just drop into single-user mode (the code for which fails
compilation without -DALTSHELL, by the way) and not ask me any questions.
As a result, I end up changing my compile time options, but I have to
completely rearrange their order.  I cannot just stick a comment in there
and be done with it.

This gets annoying to have to do every time init's Makefile appears to get
modified.

I will be submitting a PR for the fact that compiling init without -DALTSHELL
fails:

starwolf 58# make
cc -O -Werror -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
	-Wpointer-arith -DSECURE -DMSDOSFS_ROOT -c init.c

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
init.c: In function `single_user':
init.c:583: warning: unused variable `shell'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
starwolf 59#

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft software is for people who can't handle UNIX.