Subject: Crashing after adding more RAM on i386 (total of 128M)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1998 02:16:16
I can reliably crash my machine after adding more memory, for a total
of 128M in SDRAM DIMMS.  It happens when a program is using nearly all
the ram, and a good deal of the swap.

My questions are:

	(1)  Is this likely bad memory, or

	(2)  Is NetBSD unable to handle running out of swap?

On the first crash, I had less swap than ram (96M swap, 128M ram) but
on the second crash I had another 128M in a vnd file added to the swap.
It seemed to take much longer to crash that time, but crash it did.

The error (which flashed by my screen fast, and I have no crash dump)
mentioned "changebit" or something with "change" and "bit" in it.  ;)

--Michael