Subject: Re: X11 includes?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/01/1998 16:25:15
Paul Goyette wrote:

> I'm trying to build my own local copy of the XFree86-based Xserver, and
> I've run into a problem.  First, befor anyone asks, I'm as current as
> can be - just supped the X sources yesterday, and I've recently down-
> loaded the entire X binary kit that Scott Reynolds put up.  (Yeah, I
> know that if I've got the binaries, I don't need to build them myself,
> but I _want_ to.)

Do you realize how long this is going to take?????  About 24 hours on my
Q700, but I did it over 2 days, so it's hard to tell.

> Now the problem:  When I try to ``xmkmf -a''in /usr/src/xsrc/programs, I
> start getting lots of complaints about include files not being found.
> The messages indicate that makedepend is looking for the includes (like,
> for example, Xos.h) in /usr/X11R6/include.  But the files in question
> actually reside in /usr/X11R6/include/X11 (one more level down).
>
> So, where are these files supposed to live?  And how do I either get
> them in the right place, or get X's Imake stuff to look in the right
> place?

Interestingly enough, the X distribution itself doesn't build like any X
application you might have built in the past.  Instead of doing an

xmkmf -a
make

instead you do:

cd xsrc/xc
make World >& world.log &
tail -f world.log

and sit back and find something else to do for a while.  If you read the
INSTALL.TXT doc, it'll tell you how to do this.  BTW, a very useful
feature is if you have to stop the build process, you'll want to restart
it like so:

make Everything >& everything.log &
tail -f everything.log

since making "everything" doesn't rebuild the object files like making
"world" does (although it still takes about an hour to rebuild all the
damn makefiles).

I hope this helps.

Later.