Subject: Re: tar problem?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/1997 17:08:34
Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> This is vaguely correct behaviour.  The tar format uses a record of
> all 0s as a terminator, so when tar(1) sees it, it cleans up and
> exits.  If the tar file was originally written with a larger block
> size, you may not read all of the 0s at the end before tar(1) exits,
> which would leave gzip(1) with a broken pipe to write the rest of them
> to.

In the interest of things not dying mysteriously, should an option be
added to tar to enable reading all of the zeros?  Then the ports
subsystem can utilize it, and we won't have ports that just won't extract
correctly.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.