Subject: (Fwd) Soft updates beta available on OpenBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1997 11:28:56
Can anyone make a comment about this?
Is it good, will we get it, do we want it, ...?

 - Hubert

--- Forwarded mail from Constantine Sapuntzakis <csapuntz@tma-1.lcs.mit.edu>

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:21:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Constantine Sapuntzakis <csapuntz@tma-1.lcs.mit.edu>
To: announce@openbsd.org
Subject: Soft updates beta available on OpenBSD

If you're running OpenBSD-current (i.e. past 2.2), then you can take advantage
of soft updates, an enhancement to the built-in FFS that can speed up directory
operations significantly. The enhancement was coded by M. Kirk McKusick and a
fifteen minute port to OpenBSD was done by me. I (csapuntz@mit.edu) am entirely
responsible for supporting the OpenBSD beta and release of this
enhancement. Please do not bother Kirk with bug reports, etc.

The soft updates code is currently BETA software. This means that you could
potentially LOSE data if you use this enhancement. This being said, I have been
running soft updates for several months and it has never garbled a file or
directory.

The code for the soft updates enhancement goes into the kernel, so it will
require a kernel recompile to enable the enhancement.

The code for the soft updates enhancement is under a special license and as
such, is not distributed with -current. Please make sure to read and agree with
the terms of the license (which appears at the top of source files).

To find out more, go to http://www.openbsd.org/softupdate.html.

-Costa
csapuntz@mit.edu

---End of forwarded mail from Constantine Sapuntzakis
<csapuntz@tma-1.lcs.mit.edu>

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>