Subject: Re: Booting NetBSD from WinNT's bootloader (solution)
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@smaug.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1997 21:34:13
According to Hubert Feyrer:

>The file attached below was created by "dd if=/dev/sd0d of=netbsd.bb
>bs=1k count=2". To use it to boot NetBSD from the WinNT boot menu, add
>the following to your boot.ini:

Urrrgh - I am impressed, but you really did not need to do all that by
hand.  There is a nice tool called BootPart 2.0
(http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm) that does all the hard work for
you - just read all the readme file before doing it!  You just run the
command and it finds and presents all the partitions you have, you can
then add any of those partitions to your boot menu.  I can now boot my
netbsd from the NT boot menu without a problem which certainly beats
the method I was using before of not turning on the external SCSI
drive with NT on it so that the first drive found by the BIOS was then
my NetBSD boot disk, except when I wanted to stick something on the NT
disk (I run NT on FAT) then I would get the NetBSD boot loader up, hit
a key to stop the count down, power up the NT drive, wait for the
drive to spin up and then boot NetBSD.  If I did not do this then the
NT disk was not ready in time for the probe and Bad Things (TM)
happened

BTW BIG THANKS to David Christiansen for letting me know about
bootpart :-)

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P