Subject: Re: installboot doesn't seem to work
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@newhouse.bayarea.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1997 17:37:09
Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de> wrote:

>Can only guess on that.
>What does fdisk report on the disk?

Crap.

>My guess is there is a difference between were the BIOS thinks the partition
>is starting and what the bootloader thinks.  You should try to start the
>a-partition at offset 0, if at all possible.  It looks like BIOS thinks, the
>a-partition starts at 0, because the NetBSD partition (c/d) starts there.

Hmmm, I wouldn't have tried that for a while yet.  Starting at 0 causes
installboot to do something.  At least fdisk now reports useful info.

I have 3 systems at home that start partition-a offset by the first track.
They work but, I guess I'll have to re-do them.  I was going to rearrange
them some anyway, ho,ho,ho merry christmas.

Thanks,
Paul