Subject: Re: PKG: ncurses status
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1997 22:59:08
I wrote:
> This is to all of you waiting & wanting for ncurses 4.1...
> There seem to be copyright problems with the latest version
> of NetBSD, and we have decided on staying at 1.9.9 for now.

More information on this has been requested, so, sorry for being
inprecise in my previous mail. Here's the story as far as mycroft told
me:

Eric Raymond decided he didn't like ncurses 4, claimed that the
original license did not permit distributing a modified, and
threatened to sue people.  Although it's unlikely that a reasonable
court would buy his story, many people aren't willing to distribute
ncurses 4 any more.

Stallman was trying to work out an arrangement to make it freely
distributable, but that doesn't seem to have made much progress.

Having said this, we do not want to bring any of the NetBSD users into the
possible danger of a lawsuit, and this will stick to the "old" ncurses
instead.

I hopes this helped clarifying this out. Thanks to Charles Hannum for
providing this information!

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>