Subject: Re: mdsetimage -- how to [was Re: Compaq PCI woes]
To: Kevin Tsang <tsang@promis.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/09/1997 08:13:30
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Kevin Tsang wrote:

> No I didn't.  I tried to implant the fs from the install floppy but failed
> to.  How do you prepare an fs to implant into an INSTALL kernel?

You dd the appropriate amount of data from /dev/zero to a file,
mount that file on a vnode (see vnconfig(8)), disklabel and newfs
it, copy the stuff on to it, dismount and un-vnconfig it, and then
use mdsetimage. See the makefiles in src/distrib/alpha/floppy for
more details.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates