Subject: Re: Bizzar XCompiling problem
To: Nagae Hidetake <nagae@mickey.ai.kyutech.ac.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1997 18:01:08
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Nagae Hidetake wrote:

> From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
> Subject: Bizzar XCompiling problem
> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:38:36 -0800 (PST)
>
> > I'm trying to get my X86 set up to xcompile to my mac.
> >
> > The only problem I'm running into involves libkern (at present). For some
> > reason, the silly computer tries to make .o.o files out of some of the
> > /sys/lib/libkern files.
>
>    Hmm, I saw this problem on cross-compile.  In my case, I've typed
> as below:
>
> 	% make MACHINE=powerpc MACHINE_ARCH=powerpc \
> 	CC=/usr/local/powerpc-elf-netbsd/bin/gcc
>
> This is not enough to work.  I had to specify not only CC, but also
> AS, LD, AR, and other programs in binutils.

I've already got them specified. :-)

The problem turns out to be that 1) I'd never seen gcc naturally do this,
and 2) I was using a patched version of NetBSD's ld to xcompile. The
patches evidently are out of date (this is for an a.out port, so we're not
using binutils fully).

The silly thing would take a file, and turn a perfectly good m68k object
file into a PDP-11 v4 archive! The magic number was the only thing it
would touch.

Take care,

Bill