Subject: Re: PCI mode probe [was Re: INSTALL kernel support]
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1997 14:10:27
> On Dec 5, Matthias Drochner wrote
>> Not exactly. I sent out a patch which works for me
>> but didn't get much response. So it stayed in the drawer.
>
> Hum, I must have missed it ...
>
>> Here is the patch again. My machines all have Intel
>> chipsets, it would be nice if people could try it on
>> different ones. There is a part #ifdef'd with
>> "PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW". If the PCI detection
>> fails, you could try to enable it. (It is an additional
>> check similar to something done in FreeBSD. According
>> to my documentation it is useless. I just asked the
>> Author but got no response so far.)
>
> Here are the results:
>
> With this patch and without PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW, the probe fails on a Compaq
> Deskpro (probes mode 2 where it should be mode 1), but success on an old P90
> which uses PCI mode 2.
>
> with PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW defined, the probe succeed on the Compaq Deskpro
> (although it finds 8 pchb devices, from pci0 dev 0 function 0 to
> pci0 dev 0 function 7), works as before on all other machines I have access
> to (Asus Pentium, Pentium Pro and bi-Pentium Pro, Compaq Professional
> Workstation, Packard Bell P100, HP Vectra P75, & an ATX Pentium motherboard),
> but fails on the old P90: it detects PCI mode 1 and doesn't find any
> PCI devices any more (all this with the standart INSTALL kernel).
>
> If you have more patches to test, I'll try them on my machines.

I'd be interested to test with and without PCI_PROBE_DONTKNOW-patched
install floppies under Connectix' Virtual PC 1.0.1 on a PowerMac ... as it
behaves much like the Compaq Deskpro, probes as Mode 2 but finds no PCI bus
devices yet if you force Mode 1 it works and finds everything properly.

If either of you (or anyone) has w/ & w/o floppy images I can FTP, please
let me know.

	- Greg