Subject: Re: more installation questions:
To: Robert.V.Baron <rvb@gluck.coda.cs.cmu.edu>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1997 11:26:21
Robert.V.Baron wrote:
| 2. The rc_configured hack in rc.conf seems silly.  The first thing I did
|    was set it to yes and went multiuser.  A day later I looked at all
|    the variables I could change.  When I install, I want the system to
|    run as quickly as possible.  I'd much prefer to see a warning printed
|    whenever I log in as root telling me to set the rc.conf, than for it
|    to inhibit going multiuser.

It may seem silly, but it does have a purpose.  It makes sure that your
system won't pretend to be netbsd.org or some such through non-
configuration.  (Has the NetBSD Foundation or any of its contributors
been hit with a denial-of-service attack by having a new machine
accidentally impersonate it or do something else unwanted?)

It would be better, however, if the install program had a bunch of menus
that more or less filled out all of the stuff in rc.conf; i.e. DNS,
select services to run, NFS configuration, etc.  Enough to fill in rc.conf
interactively.

Maybe for 1.4 :-)