Subject: Re: disk partition size
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1997 11:35:06
On Fri, Dec 05, 1997 at 08:49:39PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Robert.V.Baron wrote:
>
> > 1. I think that most people do not want crash dumps.  (we need a
> >    survey.)
> >
> > 2. I think that a 32Meg root and a 120 Meg usr work for most systems
>
> Just to add another data point, I've given up on having /usr a seperate
> partition. I'd be QUITE annoyed if sysinst made me have one.

Hmm.  And I prefer a 64 MB /, a large /usr, and separate /tmp and /var
partitions.  I have a 512 MB swap partition on my main machine (with
64 MB RAM).  I hope sysinst allows for all this..  I would feel very
insecure having all files in one basket.. eh, partition.  I haven't
had too many partitions corrupted during these 3.5 years of NetBSD use,
but still..

> I understand other folks like them. That's fine. Just let's leave that
> decision to local policy.

Please let the Root decide (it might be OK to have a "default" partition
system for beginners, but I want to have my own ways ;-)

  -jm