Subject: Re: case (in)sensitivity on CD9660 file system
To: None <rich@rdp.introl.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@kurt.tools.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 17:17:29
Hello,

> I suspect it may be your CD creation program. I use a (slightly hacked)
> version of mkisofs to create CD's with all files (including directories)
> having their original case.

Note that this is not allowed by ISO9660.  ISO9660 requires filenames to
be uppercase only (in addition to allowing digits and some limited set of
special chars).  And it requires the trailing version number, i.e. the ';###'
you see when mounting a standards conforming CD with option '-g' under
NetBSD.

> The resulting CD's retain their filename's case under NetBSD (1.3BETA) and
> Linux in addition to working just fine under Windows95.

Hmm, note that you have to use option '-g' on the mount (when using NetBSD)
to make this work.  Otherwise all uppercase characters are translated to
lower case.

CIao,
Wolfgang
--