Subject: Re: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 13:03:50
> I really think sysinst should't complain if there is no name server or gateway.
> There are networks where these really don't exist.

Indeed.  I created one specifically to do an install..  (one laptop
with sets on its hard drive; a 10-base-T crossover cable, and the
system under install)...

.. and I've watched other NetBSD developer types do this in the past
as well..  It's a nice reliable, fast way to do a brain dump ..

the following is somewhat unfair since it's a vague bug report (the
system's at home and I'm not..).. but I've rebuilt sysinst since the
"don't need gateway/nameserver" change went in and I still had
difficulty getting past teh network config screen without filling in a
non-blank nameserver address.  I had to fill in a dummy nameserver
entry and wait the ~60 seconds for it to time out on each resolution
in order to get things to work...

i'll try this again before (re)opening a PR, but..

					- Bill