Subject: Re: sysinst report [was: 1.3Beta]
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1997 22:55:52
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:39:38 +0100  Manuel BOUYER wrote:

> On Dec 4, Jonathan Stone wrote
> >

> > If you don't select installation via the network (FTP or NFS), then
> > sysinst doesn't ask you for network configuration.
> >

> I think what he means here is: install from a local, stand-alone
> network. On a network with 3 machines you don't need a name server and a
> gateway, but you may want to do a network install.
>
> I really think sysinst should't complain if there is no name server or gateway.
> There are networks where these really don't exist.

This change was made about two weeks ago (to both branch and trunk):

	balrog:distrib/utils/sysinst 113> netcvs log net.c

	RCS file: /a/cvsroot/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/net.c,v
	revision 1.20
	date: 1997/11/22 13:52:45;  author: simonb;  state: Exp;  lines: +36 -22
	Don't try to ping a nameserver or default router if not is specified.  Also
	don't build an /etc/resolv.conf if a nameserver is not specified.
	Fixes PRs #4548 and #4539.

Hmm.  Don't treat the ``if not is specified'' as good English :)

Simon.