Subject: Re: ISDN + NAT/Router
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1997 19:23:13
On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> On 12/3/97 at 8:16 AM +0100, you wrote:
>
> > > What is the easiest route to use ISDN with a NetBSD NAT Router box?  ISDN
> > > card or ISDN Router with ethernet port?  I have a few workstations at home
> > > and I am getting ISDN BRI installed.  i386 is my platform.
> >
> > The easiest right now is getting a separate router box.
> >
> > If you can afford to wait some time (no timeline set right now, i.e.
> >probably
> > 1 month to 1 year) you can go waiting for isdn4bsd (former bisdn) or
> >whatever
> > it will be called then.
>
> Out of curiosity, why wouldn't simply hooking up the NAT box to the ISDN
> connection work? The whole point of NAT is to handle this sort of

yes this should work but cost more:
1. 2 separate boxes
2. 2 ether in the netbsd box.  one to the isdn router and the other to the
LAN

> situation. I haven't ever had an opportunity to try it, but I expect that
> either hooking the NetBSD NAT box to an external router (and setting a
> route to it) or using some sort of supported ISDN card and routing through
> that would work equally well.

that's what I'm trying to find out.. what ISDN card to use?

> If my assumption here is wrong, I'd love a vaguely detailed explanation of
> why, as that would mean my understanding is pretty badly off.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
> "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
>  dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore...awake ? sleep : dream;

Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087