Subject: PPP and routing question.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard Pennington <rich@rdp.introl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1997 12:52:50
Hi,

This is probably a simple question, or at least I hope so :)

Could someone point me to a FAQ or document concerning the best way to
allow a few modems to a NetBSD-1.3BETA system to access our internal
network, and through our router, the internet.

There seems to be plenty of information regarding connecting to an ISP
via PPP but I seem to be missing some vital information about - well,
"being" an ISP.

Background:

My network is class C: 192.124.43.X.
I currently use a netmask of 0xFFFFFFE0.
I currently use subnet 2 for our ethernet 192.124.43.65 - 192.124.43.94.
I would like to use subnet 6 (...193 through ...221) for ppp users.

Someone had set up a configuration a while ago that assigned ip addresses
to modems (tty00 got ...193, tty01 got ...194, etc.) and used gated to
perform the necessary magic.

After I upgraded the system from 1.2 to 1.3BETA the old forwarding stoped
working. (People can login via ppp but can't access the internet.)

In poking around I found that gated is not a standard part of NetBSD and
the gated I'm using - installed by someone else :( - has no source or
documentation around.

I think I have the new kernal configured properly (i.e. it has GATEWAY
configured).

So I guess my question boils down to this: What is the "right" way to do
this under NetBSD? Should I be using gated (after finding new sources and
docs)? Or is there a better/built-in method to use?

I've been using NetBSD since the 0.8 or 0.9 days and can handle most aspects
of system administration but for some reason thinking about the networking
stuff always seems to give me a headache :)

Thanks in advance,

-Rich
--
Richard Pennington		Introl Corporation, Milwaukee, WI USA
Email: rich@introl.com		Phone: +1 414-273-6100	Fax: +1 414-273-6106