Subject: Re: NetBSD X11 source tree now available for ftp/sup.
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1997 09:11:19
On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:31:08 -0600 (CST)
 Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com> wrote:

 > How does the NetBSD source for X11 differ, if at all, from the standard
 > X11 R6.3 distribution (or from the XFree86 version, where that is
 > available)?

Since NetBSD supports so many platforms, it is often hard to get changes
for all of them into a X11 or XFree86 release.  The NetBSD Project's
X source tree is designed to address this problem.  We track the
XFree86 releases, and add/improve support for our platforms faster than
XFree86 can.

We have also made a few changes to e.g. make all X binaries (except servers)
sharable on the m68k ports (this required changes to imake).

We do plan on feeding back all of our changes to XFree86 so that we don't
have divergence.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935