Subject: Re: ISDN + NAT/Router
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1997 10:57:34
On 12/3/97 at 8:16 AM +0100, you wrote:

> > What is the easiest route to use ISDN with a NetBSD NAT Router box?  ISDN
> > card or ISDN Router with ethernet port?  I have a few workstations at home
> > and I am getting ISDN BRI installed.  i386 is my platform.
>
> The easiest right now is getting a separate router box.
>
> If you can afford to wait some time (no timeline set right now, i.e.
>probably
> 1 month to 1 year) you can go waiting for isdn4bsd (former bisdn) or
>whatever
> it will be called then.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't simply hooking up the NAT box to the ISDN
connection work? The whole point of NAT is to handle this sort of
situation. I haven't ever had an opportunity to try it, but I expect that
either hooking the NetBSD NAT box to an external router (and setting a
route to it) or using some sort of supported ISDN card and routing through
that would work equally well.

If my assumption here is wrong, I'd love a vaguely detailed explanation of
why, as that would mean my understanding is pretty badly off.

Thanks!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments