Subject: Re: floppy controller tape devices?
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1997 00:01:45
On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 02:02:36PM -0800, Gerald C. Simmons wrote:

> > As for floppy tape support, I too think it is crap, and will stick to
> > my 4mm DAT changer.  However, I see the desire for others to use what
> > they have on hand, too.
> >
> > --Michael
> >

> Here's the CRAP thing again! Don't you see how destructive to the NetBSD
> project this kind of an attitude is?

I think you're overreacting here.. Michael is in fact saying: "No matter
what I think of this particular kind of hardware, I see that it should
be supported".

It's ok for people to have the opinion that a kind of hardware is 'crap',
but it should not be used as a reason to not support it, that's clear.
And he's not doing that.

I agree with your sentiments with regard to the fist reaction: saying
"That piece of hardware sucks, so we should not support it" is very wrong.

To come back to the original point: it's not supported currently. Whether
it will be in the future depends on if someone will have the 1) time,
2) hardware, and 3) knowledge to write (or port) support for it. To
fulfill all 3 of those conditions is unfortunately a problem a lot
of the time.. Since Michael says he has 3), and hopefully has 1),
maybe someone could provide him with 2)?

- Frank