Subject: Re: floppy controller tape devices
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1997 17:07:46
> Has anyone else looked at FreeBSD's support of these tape drives?

Nota Bene:

	1. The device driver portion of our floppy tape driver (e.g. /dev/ft)
	   is only half the story and perhaps not even that large of a
	   fraction :).  Much of the "smarts" is done in the user mode
	   ft(8) program, without which /dev/ft itself is pretty much
	   useless.  You will want to think about taking both pieces
	   over if you want to clone the FreeBSD driver and think even
	   harder about whether you really want to adopt this approach
	   and all the user support headaches that come with it ("Why
           doesn't /dev/ft Just Work(tm) like we all expect it to?!").

	2. Even in FreeBSD, where it sort of still works, this driver is an
	   orphaned child with no clearly responsibile
	   maintainer and it could easily croak at any time, its last
	   few champions having switched to more robust tape backup
	   solutions long ago. Caveat Emptor.

					Jordan