Subject: Re: NFS stale files
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/1997 13:34:44
On Sun, Nov 23, 1997 at 03:17:50PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

> I'm using an Ultrix box as a file server at home (when we get a
> prestoserve driver I'll cut it over to NetBSD:), and I've got a
> NetBSD/i386 client running NetBSD 1.2.  I plan on upgrading it to
> 1.3 after the release is out.
>
> I'm using CVS, and noticing lots of .nfs files in the CVS tree.  They
> appear to be the previous version of the ,v file before they were
> checked in.  Has anyone else noticed this behaviour?  Is it fixed
> in 1.3?  A quick look through the current-users archives showed up
> nothing...

Bugs like this [the kernel keeping a ref on a NFS node when it should
not, causing .nfsXXXXX files to be lying around] have appeared over
the last few years, and have been fixed. I am not aware of one being
left, you are the first one in a long time to report one.

A bug _related_ to this was fixed since 1.2, so it might be worth
a shot to try a 1.3_ALPHA kernel on your NFS client.

If this doesn't fix it, could you get back to me with more details?

- Frank