Subject: Make target/dependency expansion
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: After 5 PM please slip brain through slot in door. <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1997 08:06:10
Woof.

I have a question regarding make's target and dependency rules.

Does there exist a mechanism such that, given a dependency:

obj.${ARCH}/%.o:	src/%.c

make will, when handed obj.${ARCH}/main.o, attempt to compile src/main.c
[and like that]?

Has anyone thought of implementing it if it doesn't exist?

How hard does it look?

The current implementation does not appear to support it, but with
NetBSD I can never tell what's implemented where (xargs is a minimal
subset of what xargs is supposed to be capable of).

Unfortunately, this is hosing a quite dear off-the-net project I'd
LOVE to see actually work.

				--*greywolf;
--
When the government fails to meet the needs and wishes of its populace,
it is the right AND THE DUTY of the people to _abolish_ it, and start anew.