Subject: Re: Weird hang on pentium-133 running 1.3_ALPHA
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 11/21/1997 09:44:44
Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> said:

> Well, I just found the reason of the hangs of my sparc: same symptoms,
> same problem ! Perhaps we shoud add a check in /etc/rc and emit a warning if
> no swap space is configured ?

Is there a reason why netbsd can't do what other systems do (ie Solaris,
Digital UNIX, etc) and log the failure to swap?  I tried UTSL, but
couldn't easily see whether this condition is never logged, or only not
logged when no swap devices are configured.

(I can see that it might be difficult to swap syslogd in to do the logging
if the system can't swap anything else out, but other systems seem to at
least try!)

Duncan