Subject: Re: Removing dm(1)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1997 17:10:30
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, matthew green wrote:

> can not most of this problem be solved by making all the games owned
> by root.wheel, rather than games.bin ?

Then all the games would be suid root. :-) But as others have
pointed out, we can probably minimise the risk by making games
setgid.

> personally, i want to do that
> for *all* installed programs also...  i *really* don't understand the
> concept of a `bin' account or group, when it comes to security issues.

I don't actually understand this either. Can anyone explain it?

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates