Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 15:08:40
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Just as a refresher, this question came up on the mac68k list. We do not,
> > at present, use a NetBSD install program.
> >
> > How will such a program get on the computer, if it's not in the tar files?
>
> I don't know. Surely you're not going to propose putting the MD
> mac install program into the MI 68k tarfiles, are you?

No, it shouldn't go in M.I. tarfiles. But I didn't know we had M.I. tar
files at the moment?I thought each arch had its own distributions, and so
if the mac68k files had one extra file, oh well.

I'm not saying we should do it, just if we were to, we could do it w/o
messing up all the other m68k ports. :-)

Maybe an install_tools tarball would be good...

> > The standard mac68k instalation procedure is to use the installer utility
> > to untar the distribution onto the new root filesystem, boot the computer
> > to single-user, and then configure things away.
>
> Maybe you need to create a separate tarfile in the distribution
> that has the MAC-specific install utilities on it. Or just put
> enough information in the INSTALL readme file so that folks know
> how to do the install.

We try. But it doesn't always work. ;-)

Take care,

Bill