Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 11:47:19
On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:

> > All the stuff you're talking about makes sense for a user handbook
> > or something like that; it's the thought of keeping said user
> > handbook in / that I object to, especially given that in the
> > circumstances where the user needs it most, he probably won't have
> > easy access to it.
> > If there is such a file, it should be included with the install
> > system. It's a one-time-use only thing; there's no reason it should
> > be cluttering up a production system.
> 	How about a file created/copied by the install program?  (Actually
> what I was originally thinking of)  It would exist on the install
> disk if the hard drive wasn't accessible, and on a newly installed system
> it would be easy to find if needed.  The tar files would not include it,
> "make build" wouldn't install it, thus there would be no clutter.

Just as a refresher, this question came up on the mac68k list. We do not,
at present, use a NetBSD install program.

How will such a program get on the computer, if it's not in the tar files?
The standard mac68k instalation procedure is to use the installer utility
to untar the distribution onto the new root filesystem, boot the computer
to single-user, and then configure things away.

I can see make build not installing the install program, and it doesn't
need to stay around after instalation, but how else are we going to get
the silly thing up, besides putting an installer in the tar files?

Also, could we do something about the message for 1.3? We aren't going to
get a program working in time for it. :-)

Take care,

Bill