Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1997 07:21:45
On Sun, Nov 16, 1997 at 05:20:55PM -0800, Curt Sampson wrote:
> And you don't find booting a machine without a hostname, an IP
> adddress, or any of the other things we tend to take for granted
> on a machine running in multi-user mode `ridiculous'?
>
> The install program, if it's not rewriting /etc/rc.conf with the
> hostname and all of that, is quite correct in not setting rc_configured
> to `yes'.

Maybe we should have a script which would ask the "right" questions and
fill in the essential information in rc.conf?  Like "hostname", "domainname",
"IP address", "defaultroute"..?

IMHO, the new configuration system (rc.conf) is great - you don't have to
know which magic files to create (myname, defaultroute, etc.) - you just
edit one simple file which already has all the variables so you don't
easily forget anything.

I still wish we had samples of all config files that the user may need.
I had to read netstart to know what to put into "ifconfig.ep0" (I couldn't
find the instructions anywhere I looked).  A sample of ipf.conf would also
be nice (the amount of information on the man page is so overwhelming that
it scares me :-) etc.

Other than these things, I found the new installation system (on i386)
very nice.  Only one floppy was required and the environment felt more
usable than in 1.2.  Oh yes, could we have 'set -o emacs' set by default
in the shell? :-)  And the TERM variable?

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---