Subject: Re: HELP ON 1.3 BOOT (fwd)
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1997 23:16:01
On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Space Case wrote:

> IRIX (as an example I'm familiar with) comes up with a default name on
> a test network address.  But it still comes up multi-user.  No reason
> I see that we couldn't do the same.

What on earth does this buy us? Besides, of course, the ire of
system administrators who don't particularly care to have their
network monitoring alarms going off because some machine has gone
and come up with a bogus address (or, worse yet, an address already
in use on the network).

It's just stupid to bring up an unconfigured machine multi-user.
In fact, you may not even be able to do so anyway, because you may
not have an fstab. If you have an install program to set up an
fstab, why did it not set up /etc/rc.conf?

The correct solution to this is to have the install program configure
the machine, not to attempt to bring an unconfigured or broken
machine to multiuser state.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates