Subject: Re: Pentium Bug may cause system crash
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@herd.plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1997 11:08:30
In message <m0xW1I7-000009C@druid.net>, D'Arcy J.M. Cain writes:
>I hear that they are refusing to explain the patch which leads me to
>believe it is something as simplistic as this.

It leads me to believe that BSDI is under an NDA with Intel.  The
patch has temporarily been withdrawn, as it happens.

I don't know what it did.  I do know that one of my coworkers tested
it on a couple of pentiums, and it apparently worked, and I didn't
hear anything about "wow, this is slow".

>I wonder what would happen if you had a program that legitimately had
>some data that just happened to match the pattern.

My assumption would be that the system would be smart enough to only
complain about executing blocks of code, but I'm not sure.

-s