Subject: Re: silo overflows, was fifo overruns
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1997 02:40:00
Ty Sarna wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 07:28:17PM -0800, James Graham - Systems Mangler wrote:

>> Great idea.
>>
>> Problem:  Sun4c has no parallel port.

>I know that all too well.  Someone just suggested that the interrupt latency
>problem affects all ports (which I think is true) and many platforms _do_
>have parallel ports..

No, this problem doesn't affect all ports.  It doesn't affect 68k
macs, which use the `MI' [sic] 8530 driver.  The motherboard interrupt
structure on most 68k macs is fairly hostile to good performance. so
this is just _not_ an MI problem.

Good idea, though, apart from the lack of parallel ports and MD-ness
of this specific problem.

I think PK is on the right track, but it's hard to be really sure
until someone's actually tried it.