Subject: Re: Pentium Bug may cause system crash
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Peurifoy <sp128@ibm.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1997 23:51:17
> > To add more fuel to the fire: a co-worker told me about this today:
> >
> > Tell your 68040-based machine to
> >
> >     unlk a7
> >
> > and it will never speak to you again (at least until power-cycle).  I tried
> > it on my HP425T.  Locked solid.
>
> Heh, cool... it works on my NetBSD/mac68k machine too (Centris 660av... an
> 040 machine). Kinda interesting that nobody seems to care about this bug,
> but everyone wants a fix for the Pentium bug (which does affects my
> Pentium).

Well I was seriously bummed out when I saw the same assertion in
comp.sys.intel.  So I tried it on my hp380 (in which I had installed
a recent vintage 33 MHz 040 some time back).  The proocessor sailed
through "unlk a7" without difficulty.  The instruction may be pretty
non-sensical, but my processor executes it anyway.  The SP is trashed
afterwards, of course, but no lockup.  The early 040's did have a
boatload of errata though.

-Steve