Subject: Re: Pentium Bug may cause system crash
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1997 13:29:45
On 12 Nov 1997, Michael Graff wrote:

> I really don't see how a software workaround is plausable for this sort
> of bug.

The nature of the hang is the issue.  If for example the illegal sequence
causes a trap to the wrong vector and has invalid and predictable contents
on the stack, the damage is limited to special casing that trap.  (Note
that this is not a claim that this, specifically, is what's happening.)

My point:  I can imagine a couple ways to hang the system when the CPU
behaves unexpectedly.  If you understand what happens when it does, you
have a chance to work around the problem.

--scott