Subject: Re: Pentium Bug may cause system crash
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1997 16:02:24
D'Arcy J.M. Cain said:

>Now there's some grist for those conspiracy theorists' mills.  :-)

There was a reference on the bugtraq list by Alan Cox to a German page
that has an article, complete with code, to lock up a Cyrix processor.

The article was in German, and I picked my way through it rusty language
skills.

The bottom line, I think, is that every microprocessor has some combination
of opcodes that will wedge it solid. What is bad is that it is being spread
across the internet in the case of the pentium.

The code below is supposed to lock up IBM, Cyrix, and SGS 686 processors.

	MV BX,70h
	STI
  again: XCHG AX,[BX]
	MV DX,AX