Subject: Re: The Beginning of The End
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1997 13:32:06
According to Hubert Feyrer:

>any chance to see this ported to NetBSD:
>http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40/download/unix.htm

Well, I have seen the effort and it is not worth it.  The damn thing
is slow and a real resource pig, on a Solaris 2.5 machine the process
weighed in at about 30M with 22M of that resident!!!!!  It timed out
trying to get to www.netbsd.org, it failed to load all the images on
another page I went to (www.telstra.com.au) but told me that it was
finished - a netscape browser pointed at the exact same page via the
same proxy came back with all the images.  The iexplod^Hrer process
(or should that be pork-cess) seemed to take inordinate amounts of cpu
time, peaks up to about 90% were seen on occasions for no really good
reason.  Finally the thing bombed on me whilst doing a refresh of the
page I was visiting when I was trying to convince it to load all the
images by doing multiple refreshes.

It would not even install on my Solaris 2.6 box, installing it on a
2.5 box and then trying to run the binary on 2.6 did not work -
iexplod^Hrer would just sit there doing nothing (no window no nothing).
The unpacked distribution weighed in at about 32Meg on disk.

It appears that if you expect to use email via iexplod^Hrer then you
better have emacs installed and in your path - I did not try this
though.

IMHO I don't think that Netscape will have any real concerns about
losing the unix market just yet....

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P