Subject: Re: PERL and NetBSD 1.3_ALPHA
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/1997 06:26:17
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:55:02 -0500 (EST)  Mike Long wrote:

> If you still have all of the
> various compilers available, it would be helpful if you were to get
> the results of rebuilding libm with each one while linking with perl
> .o files produced by 1.3_ALPHA's compiler.

I built libm (-current sources, sup'd from the Oz mirror this
morning) with gcc 2.7.2.1 and linked this into perl5.004_04.  Same
problem.  (Sanity check: failed when -current libm built with the
snapshot compiler, too.)

I couldn't build the -current libm sources with gcc 2.4.5, but
picking up the library from NetBSD-1.1 and linking perl against it
worked just fine.  Ditto a 1.2.1 libm.so.0.1.

I've therefore failed to determine if it is a library problem, or
a compiler problem common to 2.7.2.1 and 2.7.2.2+myc1.  Sigh; it
will take digging into the libm routines to sort this out, I
think.

Anyone care to do that while I fade off into the sunrise for
breakfast?

Ciao,

Giles