Subject: Re: silo overflows, was fifo overruns
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/1997 11:02:08
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> I grabbed the latest sparc tarballs, 19971106, and using a kernel made
> from sources supped Sunday,, I'm not seeing fifo overruns any longer,
> but the following has replaced them:
>
> Nov 10 06:29:51 law /netbsd: zstty0: 1 silo overflow, 0 ibuf floods
> Nov 10 06:31:00 law /netbsd: zstty0: 13 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods

silo overflow == fifo overrun.  The former phrase is used in other
drivers, and I guess the change was made for the sake of consistency.
I imagine the rate has dropped considerably, though.  It may be a little
difficult to determine just how bad things were with the old driver, due
to bugs in the reporting mechanism, so don't try to measure this based on
your logs. :-)

--scott