Subject: Re: Package System Oddness...?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 20:55:56
On 11/9/97 at 11:23 PM +0000, you wrote:

> > Hm. It might be worthwhile including /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.pkg.dist in the
> > package system sup collection for folks (myself included) who don't keep
> > full source code around.
>
> I disagree. The package system is designed for NetBSD 1.3 and a proper
> NetBSD 1.3 installation will include this file.

Hm. Unless I'm mistaken, that particular file *isn't* included in the
standard installation. It's part of the source, and it is not found in our
snapshots, since they don't include the full source.

Lots of folks don't have the space to keep a full set of NetBSD source
lying around, and lots of us also don't have the horsepower to make
compiling the world feasable even *with* the space. I lack both, and thus I
rely on other folks' snapshots.

I've now managed to have the package system grab, compile, and successfully
install a package. It worked "out of the box," with the exception of that
one file. If that one file were included in the package collection, things
would be a lot easier for folks who want to use the package system. The
file doesn't *have* to be included in the package system sup collection, as
long as it's included *somewhere*. Right now someone starting from scratch
will have to go out and grab that one file to have a completely working
package system. It seems rather silly to not do something about this,
doesn't it, Matthias? I'm not sure where in the grand scheme of things the
file ought to go. I'll leave that to wiser heads than mine. <grin>

> Simply chamge into the "etc" directory.

Yep... I'm not quite sure how I missed that.

<find wall, slam face repeatedly>

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments