Subject: Re: Weird "make all" behavior
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1997 17:28:27
On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> Curt Samson has been working on this problem with success, however, when he
> committed his files to the -current tree, enough things broke that he
> backed out.

One of the fundamental sticking points that remained, at least up until
recently, was Curt's insistence that `make build' not actually install
anything, anywhere.  I have personally been lobbying him to call the
target that compiles everything `world' (or something similar), since
that's what the rest of the world calls it.  Further, keep `build' around
with the traditional meaning:  compile everything, then install it to
${DESTDIR:-/} (i.e. `build a system').

I don't think that this request is really that objectionable, since it's
trivial to implement the build target by using the world target, in this
case.  Everyone wins.

--scott