Subject: Re: RealAudio
To: None <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
From: Nagae Hidetake <nagae@mickey.ai.kyutech.ac.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1997 14:14:14
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <haszlaki@UAccess.NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:32:13 -0600 (CST)

> >    FreeBSD/Linux RealAudio player doesn't work on my machine
> > (NetBSD/i386 1.3_ALPHA).  It says `Cannot open audio device'.
> > I guess `audio device' means /dev/dsp (NetBSD doesn't have it).

> 	mkdir  /emul/linux/dev
> 	ln -s /dev/audio /emul/linux/dev/dsp
> 	ln -s /dev/mixer /emul/linux/dev/mixer
>
> (for the linux version)

   Thank you, it works.  (I don't need to make /emul/linux/dev/mixer.)

   But the output sound is *very* noisy.  It's hard to hear what
he/she says.  My machine is ThinkPad 560 and it has Sound Blaster
compatible audio.  Of cource /dev/audio can play u-law audio data
without problems.

   Video of Linux version is fine.  Thank you again for your advice.
----
Nagae Hidetake  mailto:nagae@mickey.ai.kyutech.ac.jp
                http://www.tk.airnet.ne.jp/nagae/
    Kyushu Institute of Technology, Fukuoka, Japan