Subject: Re: Another stat13 problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/1997 21:10:49
On Nov  6,  2:03pm, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> I fought with this for a couple of days. If necessary, go to single-user
> I still don't know why removing previous versions of libc was necessary.

  This bit me good as well.  I was running single user on a 5000/50 because
I had been having problems in multiuser.  I kept getting __stat13 undefined,
but it was really in the shared libary.  I finally got smart and used
ldconfig to see what shared libraries were really being used.  I found that
libc.so.12.19 (which doesn't have __stat13) was the only one known to ld.so.
The programs were being linked using libc.so.12.20, but were trying to use
libc.so.12.19 at runtime.  What had happened was that ld.so was using stale
data in /etc/ld.so.cache - because I was running single user, /etc/ld.so.cache
had never gotten updated with libc.so.12.20.  Once I updated /etc/ld.so.cache,
things worked much better.

> On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Simon Burge wrote:
>
> .. I've got a stat13 problem, on my two pmax's.
> ..
> ..
> .. 	balrog:~ 3> telnet mona
> .. 	Trying 172.73.42.230...
> .. 	Connected to mona.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au.
> .. 	Escape character is '^]'.
> .. 	telnetd: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12
> .. 	Connection closed by foreign host.
> ..
> .. And when I try to log in as root on the console, I get something
> .. similar:
> ..
> .. 	NetBSD/pmax (mona) (console)
> ..
> .. 	login: root
> .. 	login: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12
> .. 	login: undefined symbol: '__stat13' 12
> ..
> .. 	NetBSD/pmax (mona) (console)
> ..
> .. 	login: