Subject: Running out of ptys
To: None <Current-Users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/1997 18:09:02
I am having problems with current in an installation.  I keep running out
of ptys when there are plenty.  I have created all the /dev nodes and
the number of ptys in the config file is 256.  I had to modify the
MAKEDEV program to get the extra nodes but it does work.  I know to
skip the 'v' nodes because it is an i386 port.

The comments in MAKEDEV suggest that telnetd only uses "pqrs" when
selecting a pty but the code uses all of the letter to 'z' plus "PQRS".

Also, I had a system crash.  I have a netbsd.1.core file in /var/crash
but I can't find any information on how to examine it.  Can someone
point me to the proper tools, please?