Subject: Re: RealAudio
To: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1997 18:24:12
On 4 Nov 1997, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Colin Wood wrote:
> |Yeah, this would be really nice...but how many architectures do you
> |support on a CD-ROM?  NetBSD supports quite a few :-)  We have made recent
>
> How much is the total (packaged) tree at the moment? I think until we
> have a "cool" install tool, it would already help _much_, if a potential
> user can a release on CD instead of feeding dozens of $$ to the telcos (no,
> we in Germany don't have cheap telcos ..).
>
> Perhaps when those CDs are sold a little higher than what is required to
> pay the manufacturing cost, even some hardware could be bought (e.g. more
> disk for the webserver).

That'd be a bit difficult to enforce as I doubt the NetBSD foundation is
in a position to get into world-wide CD distributions. I'm not a member of
Core, so I'm not sure. But I doubt it.

A better thing to do might be for a CD distributor to promise to give some
money to the NetBSD foundation for each CD sold.

A more direct thing would be for people to just give $$ to the NetBSD
Foundation. I don't know how it relates to international tax law, but TNF
is, I believe, a tax-exempt charity in the US. So contributions are tax
deductable (unless you make lots of $$ and run into minimum tax stuff, but
in that case you have an accountant anyway).

My vote'd be for a mail server seperate from cvs/gnats.netbsd.org, or in
parallel. But more disk'd be good. SCSI disks are running $100/GB or so,
internal. :-)

Take care,

Bill