Subject: Re: Java exec recognition
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 10:34:54
> In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.971031131000.17121B-100000@www.duh.org> you write:
> > A Java recognition module for the exec() family.
> >
> > While plowing through the (sad to say it, but disorganized) Linux kernel, I
> > did notice that it has a stub routine capable of recognizing Java classes
> > and running a Java interpreter when a class is encountered.  This seems like
> > an utterly trivial thing to add;, with only two sysctl configurable options
> > needed (pathname of Java interpreter and of Applet viewer).  Opinions?
>
> I like the idea of an LKM for this. There's no reason it needs to be
> there at boot time, and it should be doable as a LKM without too much
> difficulty.

There are some people who Really don't like to use LKMs, for a variety
of reasons.  In general, if something's going to be provided as an
LKM, I consider it bad form to not provide it in a form that can be
compiled and/or linked into a kernel (assuming it can be, based on
licensing constraints, etc.).

chris