Subject: Re: NetBSD logo
To: None <mikel@shore.net>
From: None <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 11:20:22
On  3 Nov , Mike Long wrote:
>>I like the daemon, personally, but if we need an alternative how about
>>an octopus? The tentacles indicate the "multi-ness" (-platform,
>>-compatability, -tasking, -user, and maybe eventually -processor).
>
> Actually, I thought of using a spider.  A web works well with the
> NetBSD name, and the legs could represent the ports.  Spiders are also
> quite efficient hunters.  The only drawback would be that it's
> difficult to make a spider look cute, "Charlotte's Web"
> notwithstanding.

If we're going for cute, please take heed of a lesson that the
environmental movement has both taken advantage of and been plagued by:
As mammals, we really only like other "charismatic megalofauna" ---
big, friendly animals, generally ones with fur and large ears and eyes.
If we're doing marketing based on our mascot, not our product, I'd be
willing to bet we'll meet the same fate that endangered species do:  If
the critter is fuzzy, it gets lots of money; otherwise, it can sink or
swim.

Not that the predatory spider sucking Bill Gates' blood isn't a cool
thought; it's just not terribly positive thinking.  ;)

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu
           Mad scientist in training...