Subject: Re: N. logo doesn't have to be cute ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 15:15:58
Feico Dillema wrote:
> Does the NetBSD-logo have to be cute? I like cute, but
> maybe a slightly aggressive logo might be appropriate.
> Just extrapolating from previous suggestions:
> An octopus- or spider logo could depict some really
> nasty things being done to e.g. the owner of a certain
> software company we all know, and sometimes refer to
> as `the enemy'. ;-) Or to continue the line of thought,
> a logo depicting the `eternal struggle between good
> and bad^H^H^H evil' software. A Phoenix rising from
> the ashes of ... Hercules fighting the ehm.. Medusa?
> Well I guess I'm starting to drift...
>
> Feico.

I mean logo _should_ be kind of cute. I won't like to have spider in
computer (dust is enough ;-) as I personally hate & fear spiders;
nor octopuss is very kind, it's cormorant, it can hurt me if I would
be so crazy to come close to it.

I woould like to have some swift, fast and lean software in computer.
I mean daemon is ideal - he's pretty fast, sweaping bad things
(software ? bugs ?) from the Earth's surface; he can manage
to do almost anything; actually, nobody knows what he _isn't_ able to do.
He is human-like, so understands problems of people very well.
The bad ones fear it; the good ones just like it, because he helps
them to live (programm ? compute ?) better and more easily.

I like it much more than any must-be-cute animal (penguin is lazy,
very slow on land, not very fast in water, fat (bloated ?) -
I like penguins, but only if all I want is look at it).  I've
never understood, why penguin was chosen by Linus to be emblem of
Linux.  I'm afraid the only reason has been "to be completely
different from anything already existent" only, without much thinking.
On the other hand, there are no many alternatives ;-)

I mean NetBSD dosn't need to fight for popularity by knocking down
other OSes; even not by knocking dark enemy, The Master of Evil,
Morgoth, whose true name should not be pronounced any more until Arda lasts.
Let's be positive, it's far better from long perspective. I would
like NetBSD to be simply better than other OSes; I would like people
promoting it to play fair.

Let's hold NetBSD as OS one can be pride to use. And even neat logo
should help to achieve this ;-b

jd
--
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>	http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?